Hiking, Travelling and Dreaming

This was intended to be my thoughts on travelling, but I'll have to tame my wanderlust for a while longer....

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Zen and the art of audiology

Did you ever wonder why your own voice sounds different (to you) on a recording as compared to while you speak??

My friends, that is because of the occlusion effect. When you hear your own voice, you are hearing it through both bone conduction (when sound waves travel through your skull to stimulate your cochlea) and air conduction. On a recording, you are only hearing air conduction.

That's my tidbit... and in a few weeks I get to screen kids' hearing. Use fancy ear instruments... test hearing... look in ears...

Anyways, c'est tout. I'm gonna go home and have some herbal tea, put on my pj's and finish studying:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home