Hiking, Travelling and Dreaming

This was intended to be my thoughts on travelling, but I'll have to tame my wanderlust for a while longer....

Sunday, June 19, 2005

I want to go running but I just ate and feel a bit hungover. The after effects of Sky are still here... It was actually my 1st time at Sky since that unfortunate coat-check incident in February. Yah, thank god it was summer and I wasn't sporting a winter parka this time!!

I complain being over worked but then when I have days off, I don't know what to do. In the Rockies (actually Selkirks- another Western chain of mountains- but for simplicity's sake I'll say Rockies) there was no question about what to do. I waitressed a minimum 48 hours a week and when I wasn't working, I was hiking. Once every couple of weeks, I'd hitch hike into civilization (70 km to Revelstoke).

Most of the time I'd work these crazy split shifts, serving breakfast and supper. This gave me a long break between shifts and enough time to go on a quick hike with my pal Blake (who had worked the graveyard shift at the gas station). We hiked as much as we could. Sometimes I'd run into tourists on the trail and later that night serve them their dinner!!!

Although Montreal is a big city, I don't have these opportunities here. Sure, I can jog along the canal or explore Mount Royal, but that is incomparable to real nature.

I've been thinking a lot about it lately and especially reading Jayne's travelling blog, I'm considering hitching somewhere in August. It's maybe a little selfish but this is my last free summer. I'm not sure where I'm going, but for sure somewhere... I'd prefer not to hitch alone (safety reasons). Anyone up for it??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home