Hiking, Travelling and Dreaming

This was intended to be my thoughts on travelling, but I'll have to tame my wanderlust for a while longer....

Thursday, May 20, 2004

May is flying by and my brain can't wait. Three months of just working will do me good.

I didn't have enough of Jerry, so I lastnight I went with a church group to help serving dinner at the mission. It was fun and fast paced. I learned some interesting facts...

-Homeless people get welfare checks on the first of the month, if they go to the shelter
-From the 1st to the 15th of the month, you can only go in for breakfast/supper if you stayed there the night before
-After the 15th, anyone can go (they fed us after we fed everyone else:)
-About 300 men live there permanently and pay for it
-They serve over 28, 000 meals a month

We got a tour of the place too. It's clean and reminds me of a cross between a hostel and a cadet barracks! Sadly the mission is nearly 80% funded privately. However, those corporations have more than enough, so I won't rant on the government.

Anyhow I feel grungier than ... I don't know who. It's been 3 days since my last shower and I'm ready for bed!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home