Hiking, Travelling and Dreaming

This was intended to be my thoughts on travelling, but I'll have to tame my wanderlust for a while longer....

Sunday, March 14, 2004

It looks like I'll be spending my summer here in the city... I have never stayed "home" a summer since before I started cadets. I'm not sure how I'll deal with the heat and my stinky feet (from sandals) that accompany summer days! Living in the cold water flat has allowed me to habituate to the cold even more than from living in Matapedia, it'll be strange when I don't have to bundle up. So I guess I just need to find myself a job and stick it out.

If I could deal with the chaos of Rogers Pass 3 summers in a row then surely Montreal should be fine. I like the convenience of the city but it's just the nature that I want. Montreal doesn't have the peaks to climb that the West does. Mount Royal is a nice gesture but it will never compare to the Rockies.

Staying in the city means that my feet can never really touch the earth, the soil. In the city there's always distance between us and the earth. Think about it, we wear socks, shoes and then step on a cement pavement. But when we are in the most natural places, we just have to remove our shoes and we can be so close to the earth.

I'm not a city mouse. For the summer I'd love to be close to the earth but practicality tells me to stay here for the lab and to get organized for grad school (GREs etc). If my feet are going to get dirty I'd rather it be from the soil and not from the dirt of the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home