Hiking, Travelling and Dreaming

This was intended to be my thoughts on travelling, but I'll have to tame my wanderlust for a while longer....

Sunday, February 22, 2004

Never go in the metro without a hat on!

Here's a safe tip for anyone traveling alone. I think it applies more to females but males can try it to. If you're alone in the metro, always have a hat (toque) on! Guess Why? Not because it's cold! Not to look cool! Give up??
To scare away creepy guys.

I've never been that scared in Montreal. There was the time I walked home from Sky at the wee hours of the morning, alone. That was scary but today was creepy too.

I was on the metro on my way to do my volunteer work tutoring. Today's weather was nice, so instead of wearing my hat (the one mommy knitted for me:), I carried it in my backpack. I was not familiar with the area I was going (Parc metro). At snowdon, an older guy (at least 30+) asked me for the time in French. I told him the time and the metro then arrived. In the metro, he was talking to me. Telling me what he studied etc. and I answered his questions in one or 2 words. But he kept gabbing.

Finally, I was at my stop- Parc. I was relieved I wouldn't have to talk to him anymore- his accent was not Quebecoise but "Francey" so it was difficult for me to understand. I got up and left the train.

I heard him behind me, he said he'd get off there too. I wanted to get rid of him mainly 'cause I had no idea where I was going. I had an address and that's it. As we were walking up the stairs he asked me if I had time to see him on the weekends.

Right away, I ranted about how busy I am studying for school. Then he asked me if I wanted to meet him again, I used the same excuse. Luckily, he took a hint, "Vous avez un petit ami?" He asked. I nodded yes. (A little lie never hurt anyone) So he wished me good luck in life! I stepped out of the metro and took my hat out of my bag and put it on. Then I lined up for the bus.

So remember girls and guys : Always wear a hat in the metro!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home